Serving Bel Air, Benedict
Canyon, Beverly Hills. Brentwood, Laurel Canyon, Los Feliz, Malibu, Pacific Palisades, Melrose, Santa Monica, Sherman Oaks, Studio City, Topanga Canyon, West Hollywood, Woodland Hills, Westwood & Hollywood Hills.
Fast-Food Minimum Wage Hike
Posted by Trevor Roberts on Aug 18, 2013 - 4:57:10 AM
UNITED STATES—I’m sure many Americans have heard or even witnessed protests across the nation to raise the minimum wage for those individuals working at fast-food chains in the country. It’s a debate that has been ongoing for decades to raise the minimum wage to give families across the nation a fighting chance to survive.So what’s the problem with raising the current rate?
For starters, I can not advocate the fast-food workers making close to $15.00 an hour.Heck most people I know who’ve been with companies for years don’t make that type of money.However, I do believe they should be making more than $7.42 an hour.You cannot support yourself earning that type of income working full-time, a second job is needed to hold down the fort.That’s the problem in today’s society.
It’s heard time and time again on the radio, in the newspaper and on television that the economy is getting better. Its not, so stop lying. When Americans have to work two or three jobs to make ends meet, the economy is not getting better; the government should stop pushing this false hope to the consumer.The constant argument we hear time and time again is that the small business hurts when minimum wage increase, well what about the employees who work for that small business.Aren’t they hurting not being able to put enough food on the table?Yes, they are.
Fast-food workers want to earn more money.
To me a sufficient minimum wage nationwide should be around $10.00 to $10.50 an hour.That’s about a $2.50 raise over the current rate.Granted there are some states with higher minimum wages as the cost of living in that region is a bit higher than other areas.My argument is if someone earns that wage working 40 hours a week, we’re talking a gross of at least $400 a week.After taxes the person brings home $300 to $320, with a monthly income of around $1200-$1300; it’s a livable income, not the highest, but it allows basic essentials to be taken care like rent, utilities, food and transportation.
I heard political pundits argue that if the minimum wage were to spike at fast-food chains the cost of a meal would be $10.So what’s your argument?No offense, but that’s the cost right now at many fast food restaurants for a combo meal, why do you think so many restaurants have started to implement its dollar menu?It’s affordable for the consumer who doesn’t have a lot of money to spend. A lot of small businesses earn much more income than they’d like their counterparts to know.What is the problem with sharing that wealth?That is the problem with our culture.We are GREEDY!We always want more and when the possibility of losing something we have becomes apparent, we panic and do everything we can to keep a disparity.It’s the rich vs. the poor.There is no middle class.The middle class no longer exists.There are the haves and the have nots.The 1% continues to hold the power, while the other 99% of us sit and wait for a tide to turn.
Congress needs to step it up. I’m so sick on these representatives arguing the wage should not be increased.Its bull crap and they know it.For starters, we’re listening to a group of constituents who have an amendment that allows them to increase their pay as they want?How ridiculous is that? It’s very shameful. If you can raise your pay, why not make things an equal playing field for the rest of Americans.As someone said, no one wants to work at a fast-food restaurant the rest of their lives, it’s a starter job, but for some it’s the only consistent pay they can find and with that being said, they should not be held back by a greedy culture that we live in.
I want to see some of these stubborn politicians live off of $7.42 an hour for 1 month.Now tell me if that is something you can support your family on? No need to debate, because the answer is no.So for all those opposed to increasing the minimum wage, ask yourself this question. Can you survive on making $7.42 an hour?
Serving Bel Air, Benedict Canyon, Beverly Hills. Brentwood,
Laurel Canyon, Los Feliz, Malibu, Pacific Palisades, Melrose,
Santa Monica, Sherman Oaks, Studio City, Topanga Canyon, West Hollywood,
Woodland Hills, Westwood & Hollywood Hills.