Bel Air News
Hotel Bel-Air Attic Fire; Hikers Rescued
By Daniel Antolin
Aug 30, 2011 - 4:03:06 PM

Construction at the Hotel Bel-Air. Photo by Mike Dalsing.
BEL AIR/LOS FELIZOn Tuesday, August 30, Los Angeles Fire Department personnel put out a fire at the Hotel Bel-Air and were later assisted by Los Angeles Park Rangers in helping two hikers stranded at the northern end of Griffith Park return to safety.

It took about 22 minutes for 36 firefighters to put out a fire that broke out in an attic of the Hotel Bel-Air, which is located at 701 North Stone Canyon Road. The hotel is in the process of ending a two-year renovation and will reopen to the public on October 14.

LAFD spokesperson Matt Spence tweeted at 1:24 p.m. that eyewitnesses reported seeing a two-story hotel from where smoke was emanating. Spence tweeted at 1:50 p.m. that there were no injuries when the attic fire was extinguished. He told Canyon News that the cause of the fire remains under investigation.

Hotel Bel-Air Manager Tim Lee told Canyon News, "It was considered a minor overheated pipe during our testing of our emergency generator yesterday. All was handled so well by our Fire Dept within 10 minut

At 3:21 p.m., Spence tweeted that two female hikers, who were initially reported lost, were returned to an established hiking trail after they wandered to an area near Griffith Park and the Hollywood Sign, from where they could not find their way back. Spence said they ended up in a location near Beachwood Drive. Los Angeles Park Rangers assisted in returning the two hikers, who were uninjured, back to a safe location.

On August 28, sometime after 1 p.m., LAFD spokesperson Cecil Manresa tweeted that an individual was airlifted via helicopter from 2500 Temescal Fire Road in Pacific Palisades to a local area hospital. This individual was overcome by heat while hiking on a trail at Temescal Gateway Park.

Rescues from the area are a regular occurrence during the hiking season. The last time someone was rescued from there was on April 10, when a woman injured her ankle and had to be airlifted to UCLA Medical Center.

© Copyright 2007 by