Pacific Palisades News
Sixty-seven-year-old Alan Paul Wurtzel was also sentenced to five years of formal probation, has to register as a sex offender and complete one year of counseling, according to the Los Angeles District Attorney's Office. He is not currently listed in the State of California Department of Justice's registry of sex offenders.
Wurtzel was initially charged with sexually assaulting Carole Markin, a 53-year-old Hollywood television producer and author he met on Match.com in early 2010. After Wurtzel drove Markin home from Urth Cafe on Melrose after a second date on May 20, 2010, he allegedly followed the woman into her residence, where he held her down while sexually assaulting her. His attorney previously told media outlets that the incident was consensual.
What prompted Wurtzel to plead no contest was a deal reached with prosecutors to dismiss one initial count of forcible oral copulation, said Jane Robison, a press secretary with the district attorney's office, in an August press release.
Sexual assault victims are not usually identified by authorities. In this case, Markin revealed her identity to the public after filing a lawsuit against Match.com. On May 4, Markin sought a temporary restraining order to prevent the website from signing up users until it established an effective screening process, court documents state.
Markin previously told media outlets that she checked the national sex offender registry after the incident and discovered that Wurtzel had been a registrant six separate times. She claimed to file the lawsuit so that no other Match.com user could be similarly victimized.
In response to the lawsuit being filed in April, Match.com announced a few days later that new users would be checked versus the national sex offender registry within 60 to 90 days of them signing up. This is why the temporary restraining order request was dismissed. But the website formally agreed in August to start checking new users against local and national sex offender registries to settle the lawsuit with Markin.
Court documents state that Markin cancelled her six-month Match.com subscription in January 2011, but later subscribed again for the purposes of filing the lawsuit. But Markin said she had no intention to contact other subscribers of the dating website.
© Copyright 2011 by canyon-news.com