Santa Monica News
City To Become Water Self-Sufficient By 2020
By Shelby Stiner
Jul 17, 2013 - 6:08:10 PM

SANTA MONICA—The Santa Monica City Council has approved to finalize a Sustainable Water Master Plan which will help the city become water self-sufficient by 2020.

The plan outlines a way for the city to become water independent through water-saving measures and maximizing the use of local groundwater, stormwater and recycled water.

According to Gil Borboa, Water Resources Manager for the City of Santa Monica, imported water accounts for 30 percent of the City’s water demand, with the other 70 percent produced by the City’s current wells.

SMWaterSelfSufficient.jpg


“By saving more water through enhanced conservation, coupled with supply augmentation though the development of additional local groundwater to eliminate the need for imported water, the city will benefit in the long run by not incurring the expense of importing water,” Borboa told Canyon News.

Borboa says that by becoming water self-sufficient instead of importing water from the Sacramento-San-Juan Delta or the Colorado River, the city is distancing itself from the economic, environmental and political issues that threaten the water supply in those areas.

All parts of the Santa Monica community will have to reduce water use for the plan to work. Ways for the community to save water include repairing leaks, replacing lawns and gardens with water-smart plants, and replacing toilets with water smart toilets.

By the year 2020, a resident’s daily water use should drop from 134 gallons a day to 123 gallons a day. This reduction could save up to 4,000 gallons of water for each resident.

The city is also offering residents and businesses generous rebates for changing their landscaping, toilets, washing machines, sprinkler timers, irrigations systems and more.

To find out more about the Sustainable Water Master Plan and to find the Water Saving Checklist go to www.smgov.net/savewater.



© Copyright 2007 by canyon-news.com