Fire Devastates Popular Flower Shop
Posted by Damian Kelly on Oct 11, 2012 - 2:05:12 PM
SHERMAN OAKS—On the evening of Sunday, October 7, a fire that broke out at popular floral store Mark’s Garden was quickly doused by firefighters and resulted in no injuries but did result in significant damage.
According to the Los Angeles Fire Department blog, around 8:38 p.m., firefighters arrived at the business, located at 13838 Ventura Boulevard, to find heavy smoke showing from a row of one-story businesses.
Upon this discovery, members of the LAFD went to the roof to perform vertical ventilation of heat and smoke. Meanwhile, their colleagues forced entry into the business, which was closed at the time, to battle entrenched flames in the back of the building.
A look at the aftermath of the fire. Photo courtesy of LAFD
Seventy-one firefighters were at the scene of the fire under the command of LAFD Assistant Chief Andrew Fox and managed to keep the flames within the business of origin. The fire, which began at the back and moved to the front of the business, was extinguished in 27 minutes.
The fire was also a minor inconvenience to motorists as a stretch of Ventura Boulevard was closed for more than two hours while firefighters battled the fire.
LAFD believe the fast-moving blaze is accidental and was caused by an electrical problem. The estimated damage to Mark’s Garden was not available as of press time.
Mark's Garden has provided flowers for many Hollywood events, including the Academy Awards Governor's Ball, the Emmy's and the Golden Globes, according to its website.