WEST HOLLYWOOD—On Saturday, September 29, there will be a compost giveaway at Plummer Park in West Hollywood. The event will take place from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and is part of West Hollywood’s Summer of Sustainability. The Summer of Sustainability program helps residents to go green in the community.
According to the city of West Hollywood website, the program was created to provide more information and resources to residents in order to help promote a greener community. Athens Services has partnered with the city and is providing the organic compost for the event.
Residents are encouraged to bring gloves, shovels, and containers to take part of the compost giveaway.
Athens’ compost is a blend of organic materials including a mix of green waste, wood waste, and food scraps. It is OMRI listed and licensed by the California Department of Food and Agriculture. Some items to note:
- West Hollywood residents only (ID or Utility Bill required);
- Bring shovels, dollies, and sturdy containers (no plastic bags; this is a self-service event);
- No containers larger than 32 gallons due to safety and weight concerns (gloves and eye protection are recommended);
- Materials will be available only while supplies last;
- During the first hour of the event, there will be 30-gallon limit per vehicle — drive-up only, no walk-ins.
Participation in the event and all items accepted are at the participants own risk. It is the attendees’ responsibility to practice safe lifting and to take all necessary protective measures to guard against injury or any other loss.
For those seeking more information on going green or other sustainability topics check out the city website https://www.weho.org/community/gogreen or visit the United States Environmental Protection Agency at https://www.epa.gov/recycle/composting-home for more information on composting. Individuals can also contact the city of West Hollywood’s Department of Public Works at (323) 848-6894 with questions.