GRIFFITH PARK—California nanny, Caroline Maurer, is recovering from the multiple injuries she sustained after being struck by a car. Maurer saved her employer’s 2-year-old son from an oncoming vehicle, that ran a stop sign in the Atwater Village neighborhood surrounding Griffith Park.
The incident occurred as Maurer was strolling the toddler around their neighborhood in Atwater Village at about 10:00 a.m. on March 28. The police report states that Maurer was at an empty four-way intersection, with the child in his stroller, as the pair began to cross the street. A car approached the intersection without stopping, and made a left-hand turn toward Maurer and the 2-year-old little boy, named Fox. On Monday, October 16 Maurer told Canyon News, “We were only about a block away from Fox’s home when the car ran a four-way stop sign and turned directly into us. I was terrified.”
In a video that was shared on her YouCaring page this week Maurer stated, “It was going to be him hit since he was kind of more in front of me. So, as the car turned in – I was screaming, ‘Stop! Stop!’ – and pushed Fox as hard as I could to get him out of the way.” The nanny was struck by the car, after she placed herself between the oncoming vehicle and the child’s stroller. Fox escaped the incident unharmed, while Maurer received multiple injuries including fractured bones in her hands, wrists and arms. She was hospitalized for more than two weeks after the incident. She has undergone three surgeries to repair the damage she received to her arms, and recently began undergoing physical therapy because of the weakness in her hands.
Fox’s parents recently started a YouCaring fundraising page to help Maurer, who is credited with saving their son’s life, to recover some of the cost of her medical expenses. They say Maurer has been unable to work or go to school since she was injured in the incident, and she may never fully regain strength in her hands. Fox’s parents, Courtney Davis and Bill Wolkoff, wrote on the YouCaring page, “Caroline is a true hero, and we are forever grateful to her for saving our son’s life.”