SANTA MONICA—Melissa Schuman has accused former Backstreet Boy Nick Carter of rape and filed a police report with the Santa Monica Police Department on Wednesday, February 7, 2018.
Schuman, 33, and a former member of the group DREAM, initially came forward with the allegation in a blog post titled “Don’t worry, I won’t tell anybody.” The post, found on her own personal blog page “Melissa Explains It All,” tells her 2003 encounter with Carter.
Schuman states that the incident occurred after her and Carter, now 38, were cast together in the 2004 TV movie “The Hollow.” She met with Carter at a small get-together at his apartment, where she came with her friends and were greeted by his. They all consumed alcohol over the course of the night. By the end of the night, all of the friends left, with only Carter and Schuman in the room. She explains in her blog that they first began kissing in the main room.
“After kissing for a moment, he took my hand and brought me into the bathroom adjacent to his office. He shut the door and we continued to kiss. I asked him what we were doing in there. He didn’t respond and continued to kiss me. He then picked me up, put me on the bathroom counter and started to unbutton my pants. I told him I didn’t want to go any further.”
Regardless of her denial, Schuman says, Carter continued, giving her oral sex and then demanding she do the same to him.
Nearly a decade later, Schuman decided to come out with the story following the recent #MeToo Movement. Carter denied the allegation in November 2017.
He told People Magazine, “I am shocked and saddened by Ms. Schuman’s accusations. Melissa never expressed to me while we were together or at any time since that anything we did was not consensual. We went on to record a song and perform together, and I was always respectful and supportive of Melissa both personally and professionally.” Carter has not yet responded to the police report that was filed earlier this week.