SANTA MONICA—Santa Monica Police Department Police Chief Cynthia Renaud stated in her quarterly crime report that crime in the city of Santa Monica is down by 15 percent in Part 1 division crimes as of October 7. Part 1 division crimes include homicide, rape, robbery, assault, burglary, theft and motor vehicle theft.
Chief Renaud reported that car break-ins were down 17.5 percent in the last year, which is about 120 incidents. Busier parking structures in downtown have seen reductions in criminal activity after private security patrols were implemented last year.
According to the quarterly crime report, a total of 20 new officers were hired to the Santa Monica Police Department.
Chief Renaud reminded residents that in terms of shared mobility devices (scooters and bikes):
- Tandem riding is not permitted. Only one person per scooter is allowed.
- Riding on sidewalks is not permitted.
- Riding at the parks, on the beach bike path or on the promenade is not permitted.
- Bike ride only in bike lines.
- Obey all traffic signs and signals.