WEST LOS ANGELES/PACIFIC PALISADES— A “double fatal traffic collision” in West Los Angeles killed two victims, a pedestrian and a driver. The accident occurred on Sunday, January 9, at approximately 10:07 a.m. on the intersection of Santa Monica Boulevard and Federal Avenue, according to a Los Angeles Police Department press release.

The collision happened as one 81-year-old female driver in a 2006 Honda Accord, was driving southbound on Federal Avenue. The female driver, a resident of Pacific Palisades, collided with another vehicle, a 2002 Lexus SC430, being driven by a 25-year-old Los Angeles resident named Bahar Yaghoubian. The impact between the two vehicles caused the second vehicle, driven by Yaghoubian, “to travel in a southeast direction.” Yaghoubian’s vehicle collided into a pedestrian, 51-year-old Los Angeles resident Gustavo Gomez Pablo, and the car continued until it ran off the roadway and collided into a 1996 Nissan Pathfinder, which was parked at a Shell Gas Station.

The Los Angeles City Fire Department had responded to the incident and had transported both the driver of the second vehicle and the pedestrian to the UCLA Medical Center for treatment of their injuries. Pablo, the pedestrian, was pronounced dead by Dr. Miniel at 10:37 a.m. as he had succumbed to his “head trauma” injuries. Meanwhile, Yaghoubian, also succumbed to her injuries, which included head trauma, massive bleeding and hemorrhagic shock. She was pronounced dead by Dr. Kwon Murray and Aroti Tilloy at 1:16 p.m.

Paxson, the driver of the first vehicle, “was also transported to UCLA Medical Center” and was being treated for severe injuries and held for observation. They had no symptoms of driving under the influence or “being under the influence of medication.”

The only rationale for the collision would be if there was a failure to stop for a red tri-light signal, according to the press release, which pertained to the first vehicle.

Officers from the West Traffic Division conducted the on-scene investigation, as well as the on-scene follow-up investigation. Detectives are still in the process of conducting a follow-up investigation.