BEVERLY HILLS—The 28th Annual Producers Guild Awards will take place on January 28, 2017 at the Beverly Hilton. The five documentary films that received nominations have been revealed.
The following titles will compete for the prize:
- “Dancer,” a film centered around ballet dancer Sergei Polunin, as he grapples with the good and bad that come with fame and success. Produced by Gabrielle Tana and directed by Steven Cantor.
- “Tower,” an animated documentary about America’s first mass school shooting, which took place on August 1, 1996 at the University of Texas Tower. Produced by Keith Maitland, Megan Gilbride, and Susan Thomson.
- “The Eagle Huntress” which takes place in Mongolia and follows Aisholpan Nurgaiv, a 13 year-old Kazakh girl who trains with her father to become the first female in 12 generations to become an eagle hunter in her family. Produced by Stacey Reiss, Sharon Chang, Otto Bell.
- “O.J.: Made In America” is a part of ESPN’s 30 for 30 series, centering on the rise and fall of football player O.J. Simpson. Produced by ESPN.
- “Life, Animated,” is about a young autistic man (Owen Suskind) whowas able to improve his reading, writing, and communication through the help of animated Disney movies, based on the novel by Ron Suskind. Produced by Roger Ross Williams and Julie Goldman.
Last year’s winner of the Award for Outstanding Producer of Documentary Theatrical Motion Pictures was producer James Gay-Rees for the documentary “Amy,” a film that explored and exposed the life and career of the late singer/songwriter Amy Winehouse.
Nominations for the Television Series/Specials and Children’s Programs, Long Form Television and Sports and Digital Series will be announced January 5, 2017 and nominations for Theatrical Motion Pictures and Animated Theatrical Motion Pictures will be unveiled on January 10, 2017.