SAUGUS—A school shooting at Saugus High School on Thursday, November 14, left two people dead and several others injured after a student opened fire in the quad area of the campus. Before 8 a.m., the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department tweeted a shooting had been reported at Saugus High School.

In a media briefing, Sheriff Alex Villanueva reported the 911 call was made at 7:38 a.m. to the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Department and law enforcement was able to arrive on campus within two minutes. It was reported by law enforcement, in a media briefing held at Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital, that some of the very first responders had their own children attending the school at the time of the shooting.

Captain Kent Wegener of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau stated to the press that six people in total were injured or shot, and treated or transported to local hospitals. Those hospital included Providence Holy Cross Medical Center, Olive View-UCLA Medical Center, and Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital. One of the injured parties is the suspect, whos name has not been disclosed to the public. Of those injured, a male and female were killed from injuries sustained. 

The LASD reported that the suspect took a gun out of his backpack and shot five students and then himself, as evidenced by video footage obtained by the LASD department. A .45 caliber gun was recovered at the scene and law enforcement is in the process of securing a search warrant for the suspect’s home.  

The suspect is described as a 16 year-old Asian male, who was dressed in all black clothing. Authorities believe the suspect committed the shooting on his birthday. The names of those injured or deceased have not been released because they are minors. 

Schools in the surrounding areas were placed on a lock down, including Highlands Elementary and Rosedale Elementary.  

Central Park on 27150 Bouquet Canyon Rd. in Santa Clarita was designated as the reunification point for parents to meet with their children.

At approximately 9:40 a.m., the LASD reported the suspect was in custody and being transported to a local hospital to be treated for his injuries. He was listed in grave condition as of 3 p.m. A motive for the shooting has not yet been disclosed to the public.