SANTA MONICA—A second suspect involved in a fatal shooting that occurred in November 2017 was charged by the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office on Friday, October 18.  Officials from the Santa Monica Police Department having been searching for Ron Simmons after he fled they scene of a fatal shooting on a party bus in Santa Monica.

On November 4, 2017, officers responded to Ocean Avenue and Colorado Boulevard regarding reports of shots fired.  After arriving on the scene, officers discovered a gunshot victim and during the course of the investigation determined that a party-bus occupied with a large group parked along Ocean Avenue and Colorado Boulevard. An undisclosed number of individuals aboard exited the party bus onto Ocean Avenue, where an altercation with occupants of another party bus started resulting in several suspects firing multiple rounds into one of the buses.  Three victims were struck by gunfire. 

Cameron Lee (left) and Ron Simmons (right) were involved in the fatal shooting that took place in November 2017.

The party bus that was shot drove to the Santa Monica Public Safety Facility (PSF) with additional gunshot victims on board.  Three victims were treated and transported to a local hospital for treatment, a fourth victim suffered minor injuries, but was not transported to the hospital, and two additional victims remained hospitalized in stable condition.

De’Ommie de la Cruz, 28, was fatally shot by Lee. De la Cruz was struck by a stray bullet during a shoot-out that involved two party buses. The victim was leaving the bathroom with a group of friends just before 1:00 a.m. when she was caught in the shoot-out.

In November 2018, a year after the death of De La Cruz, friends and relatives of the woman filed a negligence lawsuit against the city of Santa Monica and the party bus company.

A GoFundMe Page was set up for De LA Cruz in November 2017.

“On November 4, 2017 DeOmmie was tragically taken from us, leaving behind her precious 2 year old daughter. She was only 28 years old. What started out as a fun night with friends turned into my worse nightmare when violence erupted nearby and she was struck with a stray bullet.

Senseless gun violence robbed me of a daughter and my granddaughter of a mother. My family is devastated as we attempt to cope with our new reality. A life without my baby girl.

Any support for the family both emotional and financial would be appreciated.

We are so appreciative of all of your thoughts and prayers during this trying time.

I have heard many times that bullets have no names and that tomorrow is never promised but never has this been more real to me than today,” reads a post on the GoFundMe page.

Cameron Aaron Lee, 22, was arrested for the connection to the shooting in February 2019.

The District Attorney’s Office filed charges against the suspects that include: 

  • Lee being charged with 187(A) PC – Homicide, 246 PC – Discharge of a firearm into an occupied vehicle, 12022.53(D)(C)(B) – Use of a Firearm in the Commission of a Felony and 186.22(B)(1)(C) – Gang Enhancement. 
  • Simmons being charged with  664/187(A)PC – Attempt Murder, 246 PC – Discharge of a firearm into an occupied vehicle, 12022.53 – Use of a Firearm in the Commission of a Felony, 29800(A)(1) PC – Person convicted of a Felony possessing a Firearm and 186.22(B)(1)(C)- Gang Enhancement. 

The case is pending trial and more details regarding the case will be shared as the trial concludes. Canyon News reached out to SMPD Lieutenant Candice Cobarrubias, for more information regarding the details of the incident, but did not hear back before print.