MALIBU—The suspect who allegedly tried to rape a Malibu woman last month remains in custody, and is facing assault and robbery charges for his crime.
The Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office announced that 30-year-old Christian Marcus Verdin was charged with assault with the intent to commit a felony, second-degree robbery, assault with a deadly weapon and grand theft auto.
Verdin pleaded “not guilty” to the charges on April 8. He is still in custody on $320,000 bail.
Verdin, a San Bernardino resident, attempted to sexually attack a 45-year-old woman on March 12, after she completed her morning jog at Point Dume State Park in Malibu.
“He allegedly was carrying a knife when he approached the woman,” said the LADA.
The victim struggled with Verdin for a few minutes during the assault, but eventually broke free.
“She jumped off the cliff and fell 150 feet to the beach below,” said the LADA.
The woman suffered minor injuries.
Though Verdin did not follow the victim, he fled the scene in her 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser.
According to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, Verdin was arrested without incident on April 2, when detectives from the Lost Hills Station located him in San Bernardino.
The LADA said that Verdin spent three years in prison in 2002, following a conviction of petty theft.