NEW YORK—New developments have emerged in the death of actor Phillip Seymour Hoffman on Sunday, February 2. According to reports, his death was the result of an apparent heroin overdose, due to which Hoffman was found in the bathroom with a needle in his arm and envelopes with heroin.
The actor has openly admitted to battling addiction in the past. Eight years ago, Hoffman spoke with “60 Minutes” about his experience with drugs and alcohol during his youth.
Hoffman told “60 Minutes” that he left rehab at the age of 22, remarking that he reached for “anything [he] could get his hands on” and that he “liked it all.” He explained that he first decided to get treatment because “[he] was 22 and [he] got panicked with his life.”
The actor checked himself into rehab in 2012 after a relapse that was a result of the actor taking prescription drugs.
There have been many conflicting accounts regarding who found the actor first at his apartment. A tweet from Pervaiz Shallwani at 10:55 a.m. on February 2 gives one account: “Law enforcement official: Actor was found in the bathroom of 4th floor apartment with a needle in his arm.” According to NBC New York, the actor was discovered by his friend late Sunday morning in Hoffman’s West Village apartment at 11:30 a.m.
Hoffman had spent 23 years sober to withdraw from alcohol and drugs, but he has admitted in several interviews to falling off the wagon and succumbing to heroin in recent years.
An autopsy will be performed on Monday to confirm the official cause of the actor’s death.