SANTA MONICA—The city of Santa Monica will hold its first Wellbeing Summit, an interactive event for community members, neighbors, local partners, and global leaders to re-invent how the city solves challenges regarding mental health. The event will take place Saturday, November 16 at the Santa Monica College Center for Media and Design from 9:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.
“There are so many facets to civic and personal wellbeing and this summit provides an opportunity for Santa Monican’s to explore this concept in tangible and fun ways. Come learn about building empathy and community organizing, apply for a Wellbeing Microgrant, or register for the Preserving Our Diversity senior cash assistance program. There really is something for every interest,” said Mayor Gleam Davis.
Santa Monica launched the Wellbeing Index in 2015 to engage in efforts of community wide wellbeing through a grant from Bloomberg Philanthropies. The Wellbeing Index is a measurement tool that provides an understanding of wellbeing in the community by providing insight into what contributes to wellbeing, and how the city and community can work to improve conditions.
The index also combines data the city has and determines what new types of data the city needs to gather. It collects its information findings from city measures, an extensive resident survey, and social media in six distinct categories. Data means are also found through:
- Community: local networks, civic engagement, community identity
- “Place + Planet”: mobility options, quality & access to resources, pride in place, natural environment
- Learning: learning status, learning behaviors, access
- Health: physical & mental health resource access, health status, healthy behavior engagement
- Opportunity: Affordable housing, opportunity resources, business diversity
The summit will further build on what the city has learned from their research studies and introduce the community to further studies from international experts on the subject.
The day is organized by morning, midday, or afternoon sessions that registrants can select to attend. Registration secures your spot in the speaker series or the workshops and speakers of your choice. It ensures that participants receive the latest event information and can register here.
The lineup of free programming includes:
- DIY Human: A Connective Experience That Breaks Down Walls and Builds Empathy
- Jam Session for Changemakers and Community Organizers! Finding and Funding Your Idea for a Wellbeing Microgrant
- Civic Love – Learn how YOU can make a change in YOUR community, starting now.
- Creative Resistance through Printmaking
- Preserving Our Diversity (POD): Learn about Santa Monica’s Cash Assistance Program for Seniors
- “I’m Sorry I’m Late, I Didn’t Want to Come”. Social Anxiety in the Classroom. Are You More Free or More Yourself at School or at Home? (for participants ages 12 – 20)
For more details about speakers attending the summit, visit here.
According to the city of Santa Monica website, the Wellbeing Summit “connect people to one another, open up new ways of thinking, and inspire action for the greater good. It is meant to allow exploration of alternative perspectives, and innovative technologies to help create a brighter future for Santa Monica.”
Space is limited in the workshops. Attendance is based upon first-to-register basis.
Please arrive 30 minutes before your session to check-in.