UNITED STATES—Help Toni: I’m turning 65 in July and last week I tried to open a “My Social Security” account to enroll in Medicare online, but my Social Security account is blocked. Two years ago, someone falsely filed for a tax refund with my Social Security number and now anything to do with my credit report, Social Security number or IRS information is blocked.

Please explain how I can enroll in Medicare if I cannot open a “My Social Security” account? Jodie from Sacramento, CA.

Great question, Jodie: Big surprise hit America regarding applying online for Medicare with absolutely no warning! There is a new Social Security link to apply for Medicare online at www.ssa.gov/benefits/medicare to enroll for your Medicare to begin the 1st day of the month you turn 65.

Now when one is not receiving their Social Security check, turning 65 and you or your spouse are not working full-time with company benefits, then you should enroll in Medicare online. You will need to open a “My Social Security” account to apply for Original Medicare at least 90 days prior to turning 65 for your Medicare to begin the month you turn 65.

Someone turning 65 in June, had a Medicare consultation at the Toni Says office and when he was enrolling in Medicare, was locked out of his Social Security account because his credit/IRS file was locked due to someone also making a false IRS tax filing.

To apply online when your Social Security account is locked or because of IRS/Social Security account locked account or you cannot open a “My Social Security” account and have a suspended account…Click on the EXIT button (do not click off the page) and proceed to the Medicare enrollment application page. This information cannot be found on any Social Security information on “How to Enroll in Medicare.”

If you cannot proceed with applying for Medicare without opening a “My Social Security Account” than what? Go directly to your local Social Security office and inform the Social Security agent that you are not able to open a Social Security account and are locked out and you need help.

Let’s go over the process of enrolling in Medicare at www.ssa.gov/benefits/medicare. Social Security will ask if you have a have a “My Social Security account.”

If you do have a “My Social Security account”:

  • Please have your user name and password handy to begin your Medicare enrollment in Parts A and/or B application.

If you don’t have a “My Social Security Account”:

  • Jodie starting a “My Social Security Account” does not begin your Social Security check.
  • Please register yourself and your spouse now for a “My Social Security Account” months before applying for Medicare to be prepared when you are ready to apply when turning 65 and need to apply for both Medicare Parts A and/or B with an account by visiting www.ssa.gov/myaccount.
  • You should know your credit history because Social Security will pull credit information from your credit history to verify that this information is unique to only your and/or your spouse’s credit file. Don’t worry this confuses many. If you cannot open a My Social Security account, then click EXIT and proceed to the Medicare enrollment application.
  • If your credit/Social Security number or IRS information has been compromised and the My Social Security account is locked, then click EXIT and proceed to the Medicare enrollment application.

For help enrolling in Medicare contact the Toni Says® office via email info@tonisays.com. Toni King, author of the Medicare Survival Guide® is giving a $5 discount on the Medicare Survival Guide® Advanced book for the Toni Says® readers at www.tonisays.com. Is the maze of Medicare confusing you? Visit www.ABBS4U.com.