GRIFFITH PARK—The Griffith Observatory was evacuated due to a bomb scare Saturday, July 14. Hikers, tourists, and pedestrians were all forced to leave the area while the package was investigated by the Los Angeles Police Department Bomb Squad and K-9 unit. Guests of the facility took to Twitter, where one guest stated: “Just got evacuated out of #griffithobservatory, anyone know what’s going on?”
This is the second incident that occurred in Griffith Park in the past week. On Tuesday, July 10, there was a brush fire that covered 25 acres that resulted in an evacuation of the area.
Officer Herrera of the Los Angeles Police Department told Canyon News they received a call at 12:40 p.m. from the 2800 block of East Observatory Road. According to LAPD, the call was in reference to a suspicious package. The area was evacuated after the call.
When the bomb squad arrived on the scene, “There wasn’t anything found,” said Herrera. At about 4:00 p.m., the area was re-opened to the public.
The Griffith Observatory hosts several different exhibits and admission is free for visitors. Over 2,000 people were evacuated earlier in the week due to a wildfire that burned nearly 25 acres in the surrounding area. The facility is popular in the movie industry where films like “La La Land,” “Rebel Without a Cause,” and “The Terminator” filmed at the location.
Written By Madison McKesson and Kiley Cuellar