BEVERLY HILLS — Last Friday, May 22, the city of Beverly Hills sent out a letter to Gov. Newson in hopes to get an answer as to when they can reopen.
The letter signed by Major Lester Friedman, Vice Mayor Robert Wunderlich, and Councilmembers Lili Bosse and Julian Gold is expecting all businesses in the city to open as soon as June 1.
The members write in the letter to Gov. Newsom that Beverly Hills has been successful in maintaining a clean and healthy environment for the public, as well as reducing the sales of harmful tobacco products.
“The City of Beverly Hills is a proactive leader in promoting public health. We were the first City in the region to mandate face coverings during the COVID-19 pandemic. In addition, as one of the first cities to restrict tobacco use more than 30 years ago and soon to become the first City in America to prohibit the sale of tobacco products, we have demonstrated a true commitment to the health of our community,” the letter said. “We are prepared to dedicate all available resources to execute this reopening campaign at the highest level along with the continued requirements of face coverings and physical distancing.”
The council also met with the city’s taskforce to resolve a few requests regarding the Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT), hotels, restaurants, delivery services, and permit processes when it comes to social distancing before reopening the city. They mentioned postponing TOT’s for the next few months, as well as pressing businesses, like stores and restaurants to take customers’ temperatures before they enter. The taskforce also asked the council to consider capping commission fees for delivery services like Ubereats and Doordash.
The council had already agreed to help hotels plan out a TOT repayment plan, but they will hold a meeting on June 2 to discuss more about temperature requirements and commission fees.
Beverly Hills city spokesperson Keith Sterling said that the city has not received a reply to the letter. They are expecting something soon.