HOLLYWOOD HILLS—A honey oil lab in Hollywood Hills exploded and ignited a fire inside an apartment complex on November 3. The fire was reported to firefighters at around 2:45 a.m. noted Lt. Brent McGuire of the Los Angeles Police Department.
The victim who called authorities was reportedly running a narcotics lab inside his unit. When firefighters arrived, the man was covered with severe burns to his chest, face and hands, according to reports. He was taken to the local hospital to be treated for injuries sustained.
Authorities said the lab was located inside an apartment complex on the 1900 block of North Cahuenga Boulevard.
Honey oil, also known hash oil or wax, is a type of highly potent form of marijuana. According to an article in Complex magazine, the oil is produced by extracting THC from marijuana. The leaves are placed into a pipe and heated by igniting butane, making the process dangerous. Explosions are common among labs that produce wax, the article stated, with 20 occurring in 2013.
There were no reports of any other injuries during the incident. The apartment complex sprinkler system was promptly activated and flooded the unit.
Authorities planned to serve a search warrant to collect evidence and remove any remaining chemicals from within the complex, NBC4 reported.
Written By Justen Gutierrez and Casey Jacobs