UNITED STATES—Celebrities: Your Mental Health Is More Important Than Trying To Please Everyone Else In Your Life
Do you know of any celebrities or other people who have a hard time in getting others to understand their mental health struggles?
If so, it can be frustrating to deal with your fears and anxieties and always having to explain your mental situation to others on a regular basis.
As a result, here are six ways on how you can deal with your family, friends, and your fans regarding your mental health issues.
- Listen to the professionals and not your friends. Your friends may mean well, but when it comes down to it, the professionals know your mental health situation more than anyone. Always follow the advice from a qualified mental health counselor rather than taking advice from everyone else.
- Your goal is to get better. This isn’t a public relations event where you need to get approval from every person that knows you. Focus on how you can overcome your fears, anxieties, and depression rather than worrying about what other people may think.
- Tell your friends to learn about your situation. Tell your family and friends that the best way for them to help you is to learn about your mental health issues. They could talk to a counselor, read some good books, or join a support group to better understand what you are going through. If some of your colleagues won’t do this, then you may want to reconsider who you want to spend your time with.
- Distance yourself from people who give you a difficult time. Do not waste your time with those people who are constantly arguing with you regarding your mental health struggles. They will only make things worse for you. Your best bet is to surround yourself with those people who are understanding and supportive.
- Join a local support group. Go to a support group in your area and talk with the other members of the group who understand what you are going through. This is a great way to meet people who understand your problems. The people at these support groups can give you additional advice on how to deal with your anxiety related issues.
- Don’t give in to peer pressure. Regardless if you’re a celebrity or a regular person, don’t let your friends pressure you into doing things that can have a negative impact on your mental health. Also, do not make the mistake of trying to please everyone because in the end you will have to deal with the consequences.
Stan Popovich is the author of “A Layman’s Guide to Managing Fear”. For more free and valuable mental health advice for celebrities and others, visit the Article and Blog Section of Stan’s website at http://www.managingfear.com/